Staying on track
Make sure you're on track and on time for graduation.
Declaring or changing your major
Declaring a major helps you and your departmental advisor create the shortest path to graduation, saving you time and money. Once you declare a major, you could qualify for departmental scholarships.
Completing your bachelor's degree in four years
In order to complete your undergraduate degree within four years, you should meet with your academic advisor at least once a year to review your progress. You should also consult your department's website and review the sample four-year degree plan for your major.
Get involved in undergraduate research
Wayne State is a research university. This gives you the opportunity to work with a professor on projects that will take you far beyond textbooks and lectures, and gain professional experience in independent research, writing, and analysis.
Here are a few reasons why you should get involved in undergraduate research:
- More involvement with faculty, graduate students, researchers, fellow undergraduate researchers
- Participate in creating knowledge, better understanding, and work with others to solve an intellectual problem
- Improve your CV, improve chances for admission to graduate and professional schools, or secure a better job
- You'll need that recommendation letter–who better to ask than your research mentor?
- Practical, "hands-on" learning beyond the limits of a course or textbook
- Great preparation for employment/independent work, taking on complex tasks, open-ended problem solving
- Training in deep thinking, information and data gathering, data analysis and synthesis, problem-solving, thoughtful writing, presentations, lab techniques etc.