Wayne State University research
Wayne State University is classified as a Carnegie R1 Doctoral University: Very High Research Activity* institution. In Michigan, only 3 institutions have this distinctive classification. College of Liberal Arts and Sciences leads in research activity that supports scholarly productivity, recruitment and retention of productive faculty and attraction of students.
Note: Carnegie R1 definition: Institutions generating more than $40M in research funding and more than 50 PhDs awarded annually are considered Doctoral University: Very High Research.
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences research distinction
- $23,994,356 in funding was awarded to CLAS faculty in fiscal year 2020. CLAS disciplines generate an average of $18M annually in sponsored funding, contributing to the high-quality education of students across all scholarly fields.
- In 2020, CLAS external funding expenditures of $18.3M supported faculty and graduate student research, facilities and technology.
- In 2020, CLAS external funding provided more than $762K of student graduate tuition for students working on research and other programs.
- In 2020, CLAS NSF awards were $9.7M. CLAS faculty have six active NSF CAREER awards supporting teaching and research development of junior faculty.
- CLAS supports fundamental research in the social, natural and physical sciences, well-preparing students across all academic fields.
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Research Support Services
Research Support Services is organized under the associate dean for research to assist with research development and support in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- For a list of departmental contacts for research administration, please visit the CLAS Research administrative contacts directory.
- For a list of areas and responsibilities, please visit the Office of the Dean directory.
- General university-wide contact information is provided for the offices and services in the online directory.
- To find contact information for individual faculty, staff, or students, use the People Search.