Master of Public Administration internships
For students without significant, sector-related work experience, an internship is a crucial means to get the experience needed to succeed in the public service professions. Guidelines for the internship are available in the M.P.A. Student Handbook (PDF).
Subscribe for free job and internship alerts
Where have M.P.A. students previously interned?
Our students do an excellent job of securing prestigious and challenging internships across the Detroit metropolitan area and beyond. As an example, M.P.A. students have interned with the following organizations in the past:
- City of Dearborn
- City of Dearborn Heights
- City of Detroit Planning Department
- City of Detroit- City Council
- City of Detroit-Department of Parks and Recreation
- City of Grosse Pointe Shores
- City of Harper Woods
- City of Leamington (Canada)
- City of Lincoln Park
- City of Livonia
- City of Novi
- City of Oak Park
- City of Plymouth
- City of Royal Oak
- City of St. Clair Shores
- City of Troy
- City of Warren
- City of Westland
- Detroit Historical Society
- Detroit Wayne Integrated Health Network
- Detroit Zoo
- Henry Ford Health System
- JFM Consulting
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
- Michigan State Appellate Defender Office
- Safe Routes to Health (AmeriCorps Program)
- Team Wellness Center
- The Shared Humanity Project
- Wayne State University, CLAS Development Office
- Wayne State University, Food Pantry
- Wayne State University, Humanities Center
Because of the diversity of our student interests, there is no single clearinghouse for internships. However, many internships will be publicized via the M.P.A. student email list, and the faculty has a wealth of connections to the community that may lead to an internship in a student's area of interest.
Generally speaking, there is a range of internships available for students across all areas of interest. The best first step to securing an internship is to discuss it with the M.P.A. director after reading the internship section of the M.P.A. Student Handbook (PDF). Contact the director at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Doing an internship for credit? Make sure to complete the Internship Learning Agreement and the Internship Supervisor Evaluation forms. The Internship Learning Agreement will need to be submitted to the M.P.A. director prior to beginning the internship, while the Internship Supervisor Evaluation will need to be completed by your site supervisor after the internship concludes.
Not doing the internship? You will need to complete an Internship Waiver form and submit it to the M.P.A. director at email@example.com.