Part-time faculty positions in English
The Department of English is accepting applications for part-time teaching positions in English composition, technical writing, and film.
The M.A. in English is required. Applicants must also have successfully completed at least one year of college-level teaching.
- Write a brief letter of inquiry addressed to Caroline Maun, Chair, Wayne State University Department of English, 5057 Woodward Ave., Suite 9408, Detroit, MI 48202. Include a résumé and a completed application form.
- Ask the university placement office holding your professional dossier to send an official copy to the Department of English at the address above. If transcripts are not included in the dossier, as is often the case, you must request transcripts yourself.
- If you do not have a dossier, see that official transcripts are submitted for all college and university work. You must also ask two or three people to send letters of recommendation directly to the Department of English at the address above. These individuals should be academic professionals who are in a position to evaluate your university work and/or teaching performance.
- We also require a sample of your expository writing. Published papers, unpublished papers, or a chapter of your M.A. essay are acceptable.
- All materials should be sent to: PTF Teaching Application, c/o Caroline Maun, Chair, Wayne State University Department of English, 5057 Woodward Ave., Suite 9408, Detroit, MI 48202.
- Once your application file is complete, it will be assessed by the chairperson in collaboration with the director of composition before the first teaching assignment. Continuing employment is dependent upon satisfactory evaluation of your teaching performance by faculty and students.
- Assignments are made on the basis of seniority and enrollment. Salary is based on education and experience. Salary rates are governed by the Union of Part-Time Faculty (UPTF) contract (see uptf.org for further information).