Criticism: A Quarterly for Literature and the Arts
Edited by Associate Professor Lisa Maruca of the English Department and published by Wayne State University Press, this journal provides a forum for current scholarship on literature, media, music, and visual culture. A place for rigorous theoretical and critical debate as well as formal and methodological self-reflexivity and experimentation, Criticism aims to present contemporary thought at its most vital.
The Wayne Literary Review
The Wayne Literary Review is committed to showcasing work by authors from a wide variety of backgrounds and literary preferences. We're interested in language that feels surprising and urgent, in stories and poems and narratives that are as diverse and messy and complicated and wondrous as the people and places in the world that we live in and beyond. Boundary challenging work in form and theme—be it magical realism, slipstream, fantasy, science-fiction, noir, absurdist or any combinations thereof, are especially welcome.
We are particularly interested in work that challenges, grapples with, intersects, encourages, eludes, produces and manifests the ideas of prophecy, protest, and prayer, however those three ideas may (or may not) show up in your work.
We are looking to include poems, stories, novel excerpts, short plays, creative non-fiction and black & white photographs or pen and ink sketches.
- Prose (includes creative nonfiction, essay, novel excerpt): only one completed story, drama or creative nonfiction essay at a time, with a word limit of 3500 words. We also welcome flash-fiction up to 1000 words
- Drama: One-act plays or excerpts no longer than 3500 words. Please limit yourself to one submission
- Poetry: Please submit no more than three poems at a time. Each poem should be on its own page and a clearly marked title
- Visual art: Please limit yourself to no more than three photographs/images. Be sure to include the highest quality you can in .jpg, or .png only. We are particularly interested in work that features the Detroit Metro Area
- All submissions must be double-spaced, Times New Roman 12pt. font , using 1-inch margins, .doc or .docx only. Or follow the Proper Manuscript Format
- We only accept electronic submissions