Future students: Admissions

Specialized coursework prepares graduating students to work with speech-language and hearing-disabled children and adults in a variety of settings, including public schools, hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centers and private practice. Undergraduate degrees are considered pre-professional as students must obtain a graduate degree to be employed as a certified speech-language pathologist (M.A.) or audiologist (Au.D.) in any work setting.

Undergraduate admissions

Graduate admissions

Request info

Newly admitted students


  • Freshmen should attend a freshman orientation scheduled by the university where you'll learn about general education requirements
  • Major courses in audiology and speech-language pathology are typically taken in the sophomore and junior years
  • A clinical practicum in the Wayne State Speech and Language Center is completed in the senior year

What students are saying about studying communication sciences and disorders

View career outlook