Accelerated Graduate Enrollment (AGRADE)

Bachelor of Science/Master of Public Health (BSPH/MPH)

Through the Accelerated Graduate Enrollment (AGRADE) Program, highly qualified Wayne State undergraduate public health majors or minors enroll simultaneously in Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) program courses. AGRADE students may apply up to 15 credits to both the M.P.H. degree and their BSPH undergraduate courses saving both time and more than one-third of the cost of our Master of Public Health degree.

View curriculum and requirements

Benefits of AGRADE

  • Apply up to 15 credits (five courses) to both your BSPH undergraduate and M.P.H. graduate degrees
  • Earn up to 15 graduate credits at undergraduate tuition rates
  • Double-count up to 15 credits
  • Earn BSPH and M.P.H. in five years


  • BSPH major GPA of 3.6 or higher
  • Cumulative GPA minimum of 3.5 or higher
  • Apply to AGRADE during the semester you complete 90 credits, usually during the second semester of your junior year. You should have senior standing during your first semester as an AGRADE student
  • Complete the four undergraduate BSPH courses below with a B or better:
    • PH 2100: Introduction to Public Health
    • PH 3100: Social Behavioral Health
    • PH 3200: Biostatistics
    • PH 3300: Epidemiology

Required application documents

  • Two strong letters of recommendation from faculty
  • A personal statement stating your interest in the M.P.H. program, your career goals and the reasons you are especially suited to join this accelerated track
  • Résumé highlighting public health experiences

Application first step

Make an appointment with your BSPH advisor to discuss your AGRADE eligibility.


  • Who is eligible to participate in AGRADE?

    You are eligible to apply if you have: 

    • Declared a BSPH major or minor
    • Completed 90 credits or will complete 90 credits at the end of the semester in which you apply
    • A cumulative undergraduate GPA ≥ 3.5
    • Completed the four undergraduate BSPH courses below with a B or better: 
      • PH 2100 Introduction to Public Health
      • PH 3100 Social Behavioral Health
      • PH 3200 Biostatistics
      • PH 3300 Epidemiology
    • A minimum BSPH cumulative GPA ≥ 3.6
    • Completed a dual enrollment form, signed by your BSPH undergraduate advisor and the MPH Program. The dual enrollment form confirms your eligibility to apply to AGRADE
  • How do I apply to AGRADE?
    • Complete the AGRADE Dual-Enrollment Form with your BSPH advisor.
    • E-mail MPH graduate advisor Elissa Firestone at to set up an appointment to discuss AGRADE. She will also sign your Dual Enrollment form.
    • You are now ready to begin your AGRADE application! E-mail the documents below to
      • Your updated resume
      • Your personal statement expressing your interest in the MPH program, your career goals, and the reasons why you are especially suited to join this accelerated track. Check out the WSU graduate school’s suggestions for submitting a compelling personal statement. (
      • Two faculty letters of recommendation supporting your admission to the AGRADE Program. Strong letters of recommendation will help convince our MPH Admissions Committee that you will be successful in our MPH AGRADE courses.
        • Recommenders e-mail the completed letters to 
        • Your name should be in the subject line of the email.
  • What are AGRADE application deadlines?
    Semester Deadline
    Fall July 1
    Winter November 1
    Spring March 1
  • When will I be notified of my AGRADE admissions decision?

    The MPH Admissions Committee reviews completed applications monthly. If your application is completed by the first of the month, you should learn of the admissions recommendation by the end of the month. The Graduate Office of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences approves all AGRADE applications.  

  • Can I still apply for AGRADE if I have over 90 credits?

    Yes, but the AGRADE program offers the most benefit to those who are at approximately 90 credits at the time of application. Students should consult their undergraduate advisor and the MPH advisor to see if the AGRADE program is beneficial for them.

  • How competitive is the AGRADE application process?

    Admission to the AGRADE program is competitive and not all students who meet minimum eligibility requirements will be admitted. The MPH Admissions Committee considers the strength of your academic record, recommendation letters, and public health experiences when reviewing your AGRADE application.

  • Can I still apply to AGRADE if I attend graduate school elsewhere?

    MPH AGRADE courses will only be converted to graduate credit if you attend the WSU MPH Program. For this reason, only students who commit to attending the WSU MPH Program are considered for acceptance to AGRADE.

  • Is there a grade requirement for MPH AGRADE classes?

    Only those AGRADE-approved courses in which the student has earned a B or higher will transfer to the graduate transcript. Once in the master's program, students may be required to repeat an AGRADE course in which they earn less than a B grade. 

  • Is there a grade requirement for AGRADE BSPH pre-requisite courses?

    Yes, students are expected to earn B or higher grades in their pre-requisite AGRADE courses. The MPH Program minimum passing grade is B. Grades of B- or lower are considered to be failing grades.

  • What should I do if I earned a B- grade in one of my BSPH AGRADE pre-requisite courses?

    If your BSPH AGRADE pre-requisite GPA is ≥ 3.6 including the B- grade, this isn’t necessarily a deal-breaker. In your personal statement, briefly explain why you earned the B- grade and what you have learned that will assure that you will earn minimum B grades in MPH AGRADE courses. 

  • What should I do if my cumulative undergraduate GPA is below 3.5?

    Note that students with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.3-3.49 will be considered for admission to AGRADE on an individual basis. In your personal statement, briefly explain why your cumulative undergraduate GPA is less than 3.5. Note that your BSPH major cumulative GPA is required to be ≥ 3.6. Your high BSPH major GPA may help to offset your lower cumulative undergraduate GPA.

  • How do I decide which WSU Master of Public Health concentration best fits my career goals?

    The WSU MPH Program has two concentrations: the Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice (MPH-PHP) and the Master of Public Health in Population Health Analytics (MPH-PHA).

    • The Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice (MPH-PHP) prepares graduates with the knowledge and skills to conduct culturally relevant public health research, plan and evaluate health programs in diverse settings, and contribute to the science of disease prevention and health promotion. 
    • The Master of Public Health in Population Health Analytics (MPH-PHA) prepares graduates with the knowledge and skills in health data analytics, advanced statistical programming (SPSS, R, and SAS), and designing population-based interventions.
  • Can I complete the entire MPH degree while an undergraduate?

    No, you may only complete the five MPH AGRADE courses while you are an undergraduate. You will complete the remainder of the MPH Program as an MPH Graduate student.

  • How long will it take to complete the Master of Public Health (MPH) program once I earn my undergraduate degree?

    If students complete all five AGRADE courses, it is possible to complete the MPH program in three semesters or one year, provided students enroll in the MPH program at a time that complements the required course sequencing.

  • Will I have to submit a WSU MPH application once I complete my undergraduate degree?

    Yes, you will need to submit an application.

    Note that the GRE may be waived based on satisfactory performance in AGRADE courses (at least a B grade in each AGRADE class).

  • Can I double count MPH AGRADE courses for undergraduate credit?

    Yes, MPH AGRADE courses may be double-counted for undergraduate general elective credit. Your undergraduate advisor will help you determine if you need undergraduate general elective credits.

  • Who can I contact for more information?

    Lauren Orr, MA
    BSPH Academic and AGRADE Advisor
    313-577-0058 |

    Margaret MacKeverican, M.Ed.
    BSPH Academic and AGRADE Advisor
    313 577-0653 |

    Elissa Firestone, M.Ed.
    MPH Program Manager
    313 577-1051 |