Excavation at the old Hamtramck Center site
Students in Dr. Krysta Ryzewski's archeological field methods course were excavating at the old Hamtramck center site on Joseph Campau. They are partnered with the Hamtramck Historical Museum to unearth a 19th century home at one end of the site and the remains of a shop and schoolhouse at the other end of the site.
â Everyone on the site is required to wear a mask and maintain a safe distance in the field following CDC guidelines to ensure everyone's safety.
Built in 1915, the decorative building once housed the Village of Hamtramck police and fire departments and various village and city offices for decades until it was demolished in the 1970s. The area also housed a tin shop, and the infamous Nut House bar.
The Hamtramck Review wrote an article and the Local NBC TV station recorded a segment about the work our students are doing to uncover the past. Dr. Ryzewski also created a video for Michigan's Archaeology Day.