Registering for CITI training
Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) online training modules are required for personnel working in research laboratories at Wayne State. There are a number of different CITI modules available. At a minimum, a student must complete one of the following courses in order to enroll for directed study credit:
- If working with human subjects, the Basic Course in Human Subjects research
- If working in a lab that uses chemicals, the Laboratory Safety course
Many faculty require the completion of additional modules; make sure to consult with your faculty mentor as to which modules you need to complete (you only need to complete one of the two courses listed above to receive enrollment approval).
To register on CITI and begin your training, follow these instructions:
- Go to the CITI website
- Select "Register" located in the top right-hand corner of the page (or log in if previously registered).
- Select "Organization Affiliation – Wayne State University – Detroit, MI".
- Personal information – Complete all fields with an asterisk, be sure to include your WSU AccessID.
- Create your username and password with a security question and security answer.
- Gender, ethnicity, and race (disclosure is not required).
- Answer questions about CEU credits (this training is not for CEU credits).
- Complete information requested by WSU:
- Any email address can be used but an institutional email address is preferred
- Employee number and campus address are not required
You will now be instructed to select your curriculum.
- If working with human subjects, under question one BASIC COURSE IN HUMAN SUBJECTS RESEARCH select either Social & Behavioral Researchers or Biomedical Investigators (consult with your faculty mentor as to which is appropriate for you)
- If working in a lab with chemicals, under question 10 choose Laboratory Safety Course
Once registered, modules can be completed at a later time by logging back into CITI. The main menu status must show "Passed" for each course in order to satisfy requirements.