Graduate admissions for English
Applications and financial aid
The Department of English welcomes your interest in the graduate program. In order that we may conduct a full and fair review, applicants are asked to provide several different kinds of information. Some are required by Wayne State University while others are specific to the English department.
The department requires that all applicants provide the following:
- Application for graduate admission
- Official transcripts
- Statement of purpose—focus on academic background, interests, and aspirations (usually two to three pages)
- Two academic letters of reference
- Sample essay from a previous English course (master of arts (M.A.) applicants planning to focus on creative writing may also submit creative work as a writing sample). A good guideline for the length of the sample essay is 10 – 20 pages; a good guideline for the creative writing sample is 10 – 15 pages of poetry or 10 – 25 pages of prose
- English Graduate Admissions and Funding Application Form (download this form, fill it out completely, and upload it in the online application for admission)
International applicants should review additional requirements by the Graduate School. All material should be uploaded to online application file for graduate admission.
Due dates for applications
Ph.D. applicants, fall term
December 15: All Ph.D. applicants (the department only admits Ph.D. students for the fall term).
M.A. applicants, fall term
February 15 – August 1: M.A. applicants who wish to be considered for graduate teaching assistantships should apply by February 15.
M.A. applicants, winter term
October 15: Students entering in the winter term are not eligible for graduate funding consideration, although they may apply in a subsequent semester.
Teaching assistantships and fellowships
The English department offers several awards that provide financial aid for graduate students. All graduate students and applicants are invited to apply by contacting the director of graduate studies of their desire to be considered for any and all awards by filling out the English Graduate Admissions and Funding Application Form (see link above). All awards are allocated in January/February and begin the following academic year (i.e. August/September).
For general program questions, please contact email@example.com.