The Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice advances a multidisciplinary understanding of the sources of criminal behaviors, including perspectives from criminology, criminal justice, sociology, law and psychology. Our curriculum exposes students to knowledge of the major types of crime, including violent crimes, property crimes, public order crimes, organized crimes and delinquent offenses Innovative and theoretically based programs in the criminal justice system to reduce the incidence of crime are also examined.
- Provide students with an interdisciplinary understanding of crime and criminal justice
- Develop student's abilities to conceptualize and analyze problems of a criminological nature
- Expose students to diverse viewpoints
- Prepare students for careers in the criminal justice system
- Teach students the skills necessary to carry out advanced research projects
- Provide academic preparation for students who wish to pursue a post-baccalaureate degree