Faculty position: Assistant professor of teaching
The Department of Psychology invites applications for a full-time (nine months) assistant professor (teaching) position (non-tenure-track). We seek an active and engaged colleague with demonstrated professional and teaching interests within Psychology.
Preferred candidates should be able to teach undergraduate statistics and one or more of our undergraduate core major courses which include research methods, learning and memory, perception, cognition, development and health psychology. Course format is primarily face-to-face, however, teaching load may also include hybrid and/or online courses. Teaching load is four and four; this could include multiple sections of the same course. Candidates are also expected to participate in department committees and activities.
Candidates should possess Ph.D. in Psychology or a related field. ABD or a master's degree with considerable professional experience will also be considered. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the academic community's diversity and excellence at Wayne State University.
Candidates should apply at jobs.wayne.edu (posting #046867).
Include a cover letter that addresses:
- Teaching experiences and interests
- Teaching philosophy, particularly regarding undergraduate instruction
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in these efforts
Applicants should also provide a curriculum vitae (CV) with the names, titles and contact information for three professional references and a teaching portfolio.
Department and university setting
The successful candidate will join a vibrant and engaged academic unit. Our faculty have achieved national and international reputations for excellence in their respective fields of research.
We offer a collegial environment, state-of-the-art facilities, excellent programming and extensive training opportunities for teaching-related careers, such as those offered by the University’s Office of Teaching and Learning. Wayne State University is a premier, public, urban research university located in the heart of Detroit where students from all backgrounds are offered a rich, high-quality education. Our deep-rooted commitment to excellence, collaboration, integrity, diversity and inclusion creates exceptional educational opportunities preparing students for success in a diverse, global society. WSU encourages applications from women, people of color and other underrepresented people. WSU is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Questions about this search may be directed to Tom Fischer, search committee chair, at email@example.com.
Essential functions (job duties)
- Teach face-to-face, hybrid and/or online courses in the Psychology undergraduate program. Courses could include statistics, learning and memory, developmental psychology, cognitive psychology
- Assist program faculty and staff with student recruitment and retention initiatives, program assessment and other duties required to meet organizational needs
- Serve on departmental committees
- Ph.D. in Psychology or related field preferred. ABD or master's degree with considerable professional experience will also be considered
- Evidence of effective university teaching experience, including face-to-face instruction using best practices in course design