Future students: Admissions
Why study African American studies in Detroit?
Wayne State University is one of the largest, most diverse and prestigious research universities in the United States. African American studies at Wayne State gives any student the opportunity to obtain a comprehensive educational experience, learning about the local, national and global contributions of black people.
In the context of Metropolitan Detroit, African American studies graduates will be better prepared to deal with the complexity and diversity of the city's political and demographic realities as they assume leadership roles here and beyond.
- World-class and award-winning faculty who assume leadership in research, both on campus and in the community
- A commitment to high-quality teaching and community service
- A multi-disciplinary awareness in associated disciplines such as history, sociology, political science, and economics
- Strong relationships with local and state institutions, including the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History
- A culturally relevant curriculum proven to enhance educational success to all cultures
- A wide range of professional and career opportunities
- Study, work and play in one of the capitals of the international black world