2017/2018 Call for Undergraduate Papers and Posters
Abstract submissions are no longer being accepted for this year.
The Wayne State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences invites undergraduate scholars, writers, and artists from all majors and programs to participate in the Rushton Undergraduate Conference on Language, Literature, and Culture. Papers and projects addressing any topic, theme or method of study within the framework of language, literature, and culture are welcome.
This conference gives undergraduates the opportunity to present their own scholarly papers, poster projects, media presentations, or creative works in organized panels of their peers. Each conference session will include 3 – 4 presentations with time for questions and discussion following the presentations. Students are encouraged to participate in the discussion of their fellow undergraduates' papers or projects.
- For a scholarly paper or media presentation: submit a 250-word abstract
- For a work of creative writing: submit a two-page sample plus a 250-word summary of the piece (appropriate for a 15-minute presentation)
- For a poster, along with your abstract: attach a digital photo of the project
- You may submit abstracts for scholarly papers, poster projects, media presentations, or creative pieces
- An individual student's presentation can be no longer than 15 minutes (roughly 7 – 8 pages double-spaced for papers)
- Each poster presenter should prepare to use 15 minutes to explain the poster and answer questions
- All papers and presentations must be in English
- We encourage panel proposals; in this case, submit 3 – 4 related abstracts from your group
Rushton essay contest and prize
If you would like to be a candidate for the Rushton Student Essay Prize, in addition to the abstract, you will need to attach your paper (MS Word or PDF file) or project (ex: PowerPoint) of no more than 10 pages.
If selected, you will be honored at the Midday Conference Reception and receive a monetary prize.
For more information, please contact RushtonConference@wayne.edu.