Meet Dean Wayne Raskind
Wayne M. Raskind became dean of Wayne State's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in 2012. A renowned mathematician, Raskind came to WSU from Arizona State University (ASU), where he was a professor and founding director of the School of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences. Prior to joining ASU, Raskind was chair of mathematics (1999-2005) and dean of faculty (2005-07) in the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences at the University of Southern California.
Fluent in French, Raskind spent a year as a visiting researcher at Université Paris-Sud in France. He has given numerous lectures and facilitated seminars at institutions throughout North and South America, Europe and Asia.
During his distinguished career, he has held several research grants from the National Science Foundation and the National Security Agency, as well as fellowships from the Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung (Germany), the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (France), the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, and the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute in Berkeley, California. Raskind also received the Thouron Award for British-American Exchange. He has served as chief area editor in cryptography and information security for the Journal of Computer and System Sciences (JCSS) and as an editor for the Bulletin de la Société Mathématique de France.
His research interests include algebraic geometry, number theory, algebraic K-theory, partial differential equations, cryptography, and mathematics education.
Raskind is a big sports fan and enjoys playing basketball and listening to music.
Ph.D., Mathematics, University of Cambridge, England, 1985
B.A., Mathematics, University of Pennsylvania, 1981
Selected Recent Publications
- R. de Jeu, J. Lewis, J.C. Naranjo, W. Raskind and X. Xarles, editors: Regulators, proceedings of a conference held at the Universitat de Barcelona, Spain, July 13-22, 2010, Contemporary Mathematics, Volume 571, American Mathematical Society, 2012
- (with E.K. Blum) Computer Security and Public Key Cryptography, in Computer Science, The Hardware, Software and Heart of It, Springer Verlag 2012
- (with M. Stroila) Arithmetic rigidity, Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 138 (2010) 3405-3413
- (with M.-D. Huang) Global duality, signature calculus, and the discrete logarithm problem, LMS Journal of Computation and Mathematics 12 (2009) 228-263
- (with X. Xarles) On the étale cohomology of algebraic varieties with totally degenerate reduction over p-adic fields, Journal of Mathematical Sciences of the University of Tokyo 14 (2007) 261-291
- (with X. Xarles) On p-adic intermediate Jacobians, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 359 (2007) 6057-6077