George Galster - Distinguished Professor
- Urban Neighborhoods and Housing Markets
- Economic and Ethnic Segregation
- Affordable Housing Policy
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development/ National Institutes of Health
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Ford Foundation
- Kellogg Foundation
- MacArthur Foundation
- Skillman Foundation
- Galster, George. (forthcoming) "Elementary School Difficulties of Low-Income, Latino and African American Youth: The Role of Geographic Context." Journal of Urban Affairs, with Appendices.
- Galster, George. (forthcoming) “Neighborhood Social Mix: Theory, Evidence, and Implications for Policy and Planning.” In Naomi Carmon and Susan Fainstein, eds. Planning for / with People.
- Lina Hedman and George Galster. (2013). "Neighbourhood Income Sorting and the Effects of Neighbourhood Income Mix on Income: A Holistic Empirical Exploration." Urban Studies, 50 (1): 107-127.
- Galster, George. (2012). "The Mechanism(s) of Neighbourhood Effects: Theory, Evidence, and Policy Implications.” Pp. 23-56 in van Ham, Manley, Bailey, Simpson, and Maclennan, eds. Neighbourhood Effects Research: New Perspectives. Dordrecht, NL: Springer.
- Pryce, Gwylim, Yu Chen, and George Galster (2011). "The Impact of Floods on House Prices: An Imperfect Information Approach with Myopia and Amnesia." Housing Studies, 26 (2): 259-279.
- Galster, George and Tatiana Homonoff (2008). "A New Index for Comparing the Diversity of Population Inflows and Population Stocks."
- Galster, George, Roger Andersson, Sako Musterd, and Timo M. Kauppinen. (2008) “Does neighborhood income mix affect earnings of adults? New evidence from Sweden.” Journal of Urban Economics 63: 858-870.
- Galster, George. (2008) “Quantifying the Effect of Neighbourhood on Individuals: Challenges, Alternatives Approaches, and Promising Directions.” Schmollers Jahrbuch 128: 1-42.
- Galster, George, Jackie Cutsinger and Ron Malega. (2008) “The Social Costs of Concentrated Poverty: Externalities to Neighboring Hosueholds and Property Owners and the Dynamics of Decline.” Pp. 93-113 in Nicholas. Retsinas and Eric Belsky, eds. Revisiting Rental Housing: Policies, Programs, and Priorities. Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press.
- Galster, George and Anna Santiago. (2008) “Low-Income Homeownership as an Asset-Building Tool: What Can We Tell Policymakers?” Pp. 60-108 in Margey A. Turner, Howard Wial, and Hal Wolman, eds. Urban and Regional Policy and Its Effects. Washington DC: Brookings Institution Press.
- Galster, George (2007). "Neighborhood Social Mix as a Goal of Housing Policy: A Theoretical Analysis." European Journal of Housing Policy, 7 (1): 19-43.
- Galster, George (2007). "Should Policymakers Strive for Neighborhood Social Mix? An Analysis of the Western European Evidence Base." Housing Studies, 4: 523-546.
- Galster, George and Jackie Cutsinger (2007). “Racial Settlement and Metropolitan Land Use Patterns: Does Sprawl Abet Black-White Segregation?” Urban Geography 28 (6): 516-533.
- Galster, George, Jackie Cutsinger, and Up Lim (2007). "Are Neighborhoods Self-Stabilising? Exploring Endogenous Dynamics." Urban Studies 44 (1): 167-185.
- Cutsinger, Jackie and George Galster. (2006) “There is No Sprawl Syndrome: A New Topology of Metropolitan Land Use Patterns.” Urban Geography 27 (3): 228-252.
- Galster, George (2006). "Do Home Insurance Base Premium-Setting Policies Create Disparate Racial Impacts? The Case of Large Companies in Ohio." Journal of Insurance Regulation 24 (4): 7-20.
- Galster, George, Peter Tatian, and John Accordino (2006). "Targeting Investments for Neighborhood Revitalization." Journal of the American Planning Association, 72 (4): 457-474.
- Ross, Steven and George Galster (2006). "Fair Housing Enforcement and Changes in Discrimination between 1989 and 2000: An Exploratory Study." Pp 177-202 in Goering, 2006.
- Galster, George, Chris Hayes, and Jennifer Johnson (2005). "Identifying Robust, Parsimonious Neighborhood Indicators." Journal of Planning Education and Research, 24 (3): 265-280.
- Why NOT in My Back Yard? The Neighborhood Impacts of Assisted Housing (with P. Tatian, A. Santiago, K. Pettit, and R. Smith). New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University/Center for Urban Policy Research Press, 2003.
- Testing for Discrimination in Home Insurance (with D. Wissoker and W. Zimmermann). Washington, DC: Urban Institute Press, 1998.
- An Econometric Model of the Urban Opportunity Structure. Washington, DC: Fannie Mae Foundation, 1998.
- Reality and Research: Social Science and U.S. Urban Policy Since 1960 (editor and contributor of five chapters). Washington: Urban Institute Press, 1996.
- The Maze of Urban Housing Markets: Theory, Evidence and Policy (with J. Rothenberg, R. Butler, J. Pitkin). Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1991.
- Urban Poverty and Racial Segregation
- Neighborhood Decline and Revitalization
- Housing Policy and Programs
Professor Galster's CV
|3185 Faculty Administration Building
| Research Area